In the past weeks the MUT and representatives from the State, Church and Independent schools were involved in a series of discussions with the Ministry (and with MATSEC where applicable) about the implementation of Learning Outcomes (LOs) in years 1, 5 and 9 from the next scholastic year 2022-2023. The following is the way forward:
– The Ministry shall be carrying out monitoring and evaluation of LOs and syllabi across all years. This process, which was not being carried out despite its need, shall be ongoing.
– The training being carried out this week shall serve as a feedback gathering process.
– Year 1: LOs using the principles of the emergent curriculum shall be implemented through a soft approach in January 2023. A committee, composed of representatives of the State, Church, Independent sectors and the MUT is being established to follow the implementation.
– Year 5: The implementation of LOs in Year 5 shall follow the implementation carried out in Year 4 with the added monitoring and evaluation as outlined.
– Year 9: LOs syllabi of Year 9 shall be implemented from the next scholastic year but the tasks for SEC shall not be implemented during the next scholastic year. This shall enable discussions during the next months to reach an acceptable solution for the use of coursework for SEC exams. It shall also enable a reconsideration of requirements for schools to serve as examination centres.
The MUT shall be following these implementations and shall update members as required. Meanwhile, the union is inviting members to provide all feedback regarding LOs through this feedback form: https://forms.gle/43t69nCEXCQptbxS6.