The MUT has ordered lecturing grades at the University of Malta – Junior College to initiate industrial actions from tomorrow, Friday 14th January. This decision has been taken following a trade dispute with the University of Malta and the Government, which was declared in August 2021. Negotiations on a new collective agreement, which have been carried out during the past two years, reached a standstill, and conciliation meetings held did not lead to a positive outcome to conclude negotiations to the satisfaction of all.
In view of this, the MUT ordered the following directives, which shall come into effect on Friday 14th January 2022:
- Refrain from answering all emails.
- Refrain from answering internal phone calls.
- Refrain from uploading or handing over assessment marks.
- Refrain from attending departmental meetings.
- Refrain from attending committee meeting.
- Refrain from organising CPD meetings.
- Refrain from attending meetings at tal-Qroqq and any other campus.
- Refrain from giving contact hours outside timetabled hours.
- Refrain from participating in official UM/JC events.
- Refrain from returning attendances.
Unless there is a positive resolution to the dispute, the union shall be escalating industrial actions with a two-hour strike on Monday 24th January 2022 from 11.00 till 13.00 followed by a one-day strike on Tuesday 25th January 2022.
Directive code: D220113A