The MUT has communicated formally with the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry for Education & Employment following the developments regarding the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). The union is concerned about the lack of direction regarding precautionary measures which need to be taken by schools upon their re-opening after the carnival recess. The MUT requested that the Ministry liaises with the respective Health authorities to provide direction to schools.
In the absence of the said direction, MUT stated that it reserves the right to direct educators to ensure that their wellbeing and the wellbeing of students in their respective classrooms/schools are safeguarded. It is expected that such communication is issued to educators tomorrow before the re-opening of schools on Thursday. The MUT is requesting the following:
– In relation to the PR issued by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and the Ministry of Health dated 25th February 2020 (click HERE to read), self isolation of all educators and students who have visited the list of countries provided should be enforced. These shall be marked excused.
– No homework should be accepted from students who are unwell.
– Mass gathering indoors should be stopped including Assemblies, Mass and other indoor functions.
– Providing sanitizers or alcohol rubs, soap and clean supplies of water to the whole school.
– Students who are sick should be sent home and a certificate certifying that they are fit for school should be produced prior to readmission.
– Appropriate cleaning should be carried out with the use of appropriate products.
The MUT is ready to assist accordingly. This communication has also been sent to non-state schools.